Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Slow Day at the Office?!

Another SC Bad Act: This time it's Frostee Rucker!

You gotta love these new smart phones. I have a Treo 650 and it has all the bells and whistles. I am able to check most of the CFB sites, like BON and Dawg Sports, as time permits. Most of the comment posting I do during the day is on my phone. I am even able to post on this blog using Blogger on the Go.

So imagine my surprise when I found this little gem on BON this morning. Then there was the following post over at BN. Of course today of all days was a busy day in surgery with a couple of meetings thrown in between. So I couldn’t jump into the fray until I got home and gave Linda a break and got the baby down before her late night feeding.

Now when I read the two post’s regarding Frostee Rucker my first thought of course was here we go again. I have always ignored the police blotter when it comes to pro athletes. Once a player leaves SC I wish him luck but I don’t follow them as religiously as I do when they are in school. And when they get into trouble I shake my head and shrug it of as just another rich athlete breaking the rules.

Well this one is different, this incident happened in August 2005 and it appears to have been covered up until now. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE! When will Pete Carroll finally crack down on all this bad behavior? I’m happy with all the winning and accolades that he has brought SC over the past few years, but the price is too high. Up until this point SC has run a fairly clean program. There have been very few high profile incidents associated with the program until now.

It is not enough to bring in stud players, but those stud players need to understand that character matters. I have taken heat for my stand that Sanchez should have been suspended for the fake ID and underage drinking. I’ve hammered Bush about his need to come forward and explain the whole free housing issue. And recently, over on Scott Wolf’s Inside USC Blog, I took Leinart and his dad to task for throwing SC under the bus in regards to the Jarrett rent issue and Leinart’s Hollywood image, which solicited this response:

Thanks Paragon SC for your support over the past few years. Try not to break your leg while hopping off the SC bandwagon. You've lost all respect for the greatest Trojan and college football QB of all time - nice.

I agree that I don't really think his dad was right to handle the Jarrett issue the way he did but to turn on Matt is inexcusable. So he's "Hollywood" - what does that have to do with his ability to throw TD's or lead a team?

I guess if you were the photogenic leader of the greatest sports team in Los Angeles history (and for most of Matt's years at USC - in the entire US), constantly surrounded by celebrities, in one of the largest media centric cities in the world you wouldn’t be influenced at all.

If anything I give Matt props for staying as grounded as he is - most other kids in that situation would be coked out of their minds about 90% of the time and sleeping with a different celeb/stripper every night.

Congrats to you for being better than the rest of us.


You gotta love it. That’s typical message board mentality. I’m supposed to let it all pass by and not question it. What people seem to misunderstand is that these types of infractions will end up hurting USC when the NCAA starts punishing SC with lost scholarships, lost revenue and a loss of TV time. Meanwhile the offending players are off to the NFL to make their millions leaving SC to pick up the pieces and answer for the infractions of the mess left behind.

I’m a huge SC fan but I can’t accept players whose actions disrupt team chemistry or whose selfish actions will hurt the institution that gave them the chance to make millions only to have those actions make it tougher for future teams to come. I would rather not have won all that we have only to have it taken away because of selfishness. Pete Carroll needs to take a little more of a firm grasp of the helm that he commands that is USC football. Also how would people feel it was their sister that was allegedly beaten by Rucker or allegedly assaulted by Sanchez? Would you demand some accountability then?

It’s hard to tell with all the Kool-Aid going down like beer at frat kegger.

UPDATE 11:00pm: Looks like Frostee has Lawyered up according to Scott Wolf on his Inside USC Blog.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

Paragon - love the new site look. Much easier on the eyes! Good stuff.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Paragon SC said...

Thanks Peter,

I'm getting there. I'm still working on a few things though.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Paragon, given that we know NOTHING about Frostee's side of this, and that the spotlight of the media is still on USC, perhaps you should hold your fire until you know a little bit more.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Paragon SC said...

Well, if this issue is just coming to light now and if it's not true I would think that Ruckers people would be burning up the airwaves to refute it.

Up to this point we've heard nothing from the Rucker camp.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you're the only SC fan that has the guts (or is it brains?) to say what everyone else has decided to ignore. You represent the team well. Kudos.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Paragon SC said...

Thank you for the kind words.

I don't think it's right to bury ones head in the sand when issues of character come up.

If I'm wrong on ANY of the current isuues that USC or it's players are facing I will issue a full appology and retraction.

It is not enough just to win. Character always matters regardless of your background or upbringing. I just don't want SC's good name tarnished by opportunistic people just for the sake of winning.

Thank you for checking out the site.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home