Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Pac-10 vs. The SEC

I don't claim to be a college football expert. There are far more knowledgeable and smarter bloggers on the subject than I will ever be. I don't do stats and I don't do X's and O's. I just don’t have the patience to compile the data, and there is a ton of it out there.

My views are through the eyes of a fan. I've generally taken the approach that both conferences have positives and negatives; they both have up years and down years. There are endless ways to interpret the stats; strength of schedule, bowl appearances and won/loss record are just some of the ways to look at it. But in the end it’s pointless. You can extrapolate the data any way you want so that it’s in your favor.

Baseball has adopted inter-league play, and while baseball purists go into convulsions and the mere start of any discussion involving inter-league play the format has produced some great games and some interesting storylines like Piazza/Clemens. The NCAA and BCS are all about making money and having control; with their flair for the dramatic they could really put the issue to rest. I’m surprised that they have not tried looking into this type of format at all.

Why not have a two-year rotating schedule between the major conferences. Each team within each conference would be required to a play a team form the other. Rotating it for two years does a number of things:

• It would ensure a home-and-home between any two teams.

• Head to head stats could be compiled within the two year period in order to paint a more accurate picture of how the two conferences match up.

• A stronger OOC schedule would then eliminate some of the cup cake games that appear on the schedule. I realize that most teams need a tune-up game but not 2 or 3.

• Most important, the ESPN hype machine could really have a field day with some of the new match-ups.

I realize that there are a number of potential pitfalls to this proposal; I would leave that up the experts to identify them and offer some solutions as to how this format could work. One potential problem is that the Pac-10 has only 10 teams. The SEC has 12 combined between the East and West conferences. The same can be said of the Big12. I am more interested in a majority of teams participating instead of ALL teams.

My approach is the same as Kyle’s over at Dawg Sports with his idea of realigning the conferences. Try something new and see what sticks.

I invite your comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home